Monday, July 10, 2023

HOW (not) TO PHOTOGRAPH A CAT

A little less than three months ago we (Judy) adopted a 7 year old cat after swearing that our last cat would be just that: our last cat.

But people who have lived with cats virtually all of our lives just ignore those bold statements.

So a small black cat came home with us.

Since then I've only blogged about her once, I think.

This morning I set out to change that and update you, my Gentle Readers, on her progress.

So first I had to photograph her.


My first attempt was an obvious failure.

The flash was on and the glare was awful.

So I sat down in my recliner, put her favorite pillow on my lap and called to her, "Here, Sweetie-Pie".

She immediately came running and jumped up on the pillow.


But she had her back to the camera.

I began maneuvering around, trying to get a shot of her looking lovingly into the lens.






You know how that goes.

Cats seemingly don't like to have their photograph taken.

In desperation I took a picture of part of her that is usually in motion but had gone strangely quiet.


Then I got the inspiration to focus on her head (turned away, of course) and touched her gently on one flank which usually draws her attention.


This time I got her frontally at last but with her ears cocked and her eyes glaring I decided this would be the last of my attempts.

We both repaired to the living room and I watched television for awhile.

Then a bit later I glanced over at her lying next to me on the couch and got the shot I'd been trying for.

May I present the beauty queen herself, Miss Sweetie-Pie.


A short time later, apparently exhausted by her photo session, she curled up for a nap.

A cat-nap.

20 comments:

  1. It's good to see her, finally. Thanks for the adventure of getting it done. BTW the eldest of our Indiana cats was Sweetie Pie, also a jet black beauty. tc Cambria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Judy had an Indiana cat named Sweetie Face when she was growing up.

      Delete
  2. You should have a nap after that! Good one at the end facing the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray for persistence! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Sweetie-Pie is adorable, and she has found such a loving home for her sweet adventures. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is a beauty, just like my Mari! Sleek and glossy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is a sweet thing for sure! Congrats on finally getting the shot. I like the last one too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had a black cat named Spencer. He let us lve with him for 10 years

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely lady...the photographer was tolerated...but only just!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually get photos of Lola by being sneaky, I have to turn on the camera and extend the zoom lens in another room so she can't hear it and turn away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being the snoop I am, I was studying all of the stuff in the background of your shots and am wondering about that figure on your bookshelf. What is that?
    Nice cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a sculpture by Judy's late sister, Treva O'Toole, called "The Marble Thrower".

      Delete
  11. That was a fun photo shoot! She's a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. She's a beautiful creature! Yeah, she's definitely glaring at you in that one photo. That's pre-attack mode!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The result was worth all the work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The result was worth all the work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Success at least. Lacey send her regards. She doesn’t move all that fast, so we manage photos from time to time. The kids’ cat, Sabine, moves a lot. 😎

    ReplyDelete
  16. After our last Cat crossed over we made the same vow... and then the Grandchild we're raising brought Home a Kitten a friend couldn't keep due to allergies in the Family and they couldn't find an Adoptive Family for Eli... so, now, we have Eli and he'll likely outlive The Man and I. The previous Cat had been hers too, and she was "Missing" Feline Companionship more than we realized, plus she's a Teenager now, so promised if she moves out, he won't be left behind. *Smiles* Eli does exactly what Miss Sweetie-Pie does whenever you try to Photograph him. His Human does the best job of it since, she learned to ignore him and then she catches those Picture Postcard Images of him.

    ReplyDelete