Monday, August 21, 2023

CAT CONDUCT

 


Our cat, Sweetie-Pie, does this.

She'll sit and stare into SWMBO's face for a very long time.

Finally, the lady will give up and feed her.

Our spoiled little b . . . lovely sweet cat will only eat seafood Shreds out of cans most of the time.

SWMBO has learned that if she ignores the cat pleas for long enough, S.P. will take a rare bite or two of dry food that is always there at her dining spot.

When either one of us goes into the kitchen for whatever reason, S.P. follows joyously, sure that she is going to be fed.

Again.

And she has an irritating habit of waking Judy at 4 o'clock in the morning, demanding her huge breakfast.

Judy has taken to ignoring her and I have taken to rising between 5:30 and 6:00 a.m. to feed her and allow the mistress a few more minutes of uninterrupted sleep.

I've usually had enough sleep by that time anyway and it's time to start my day.

So I don't mind.

Except.

Sweetie-Pie jumped up on my bed and woke me at 3:30 THIS MORNING!

I ignored her until she came back around 4 and tried again.

This time I reached out, put my hand on her back and held her down.

Gently.

She apparently took the hint and went to sleep.

But finally, responding to demands voiced in her quiet but insistent murmurs, I rose a little before 6 and fed her.

Once satisfying her ravenous appetite, she goes back into SWMBO's room and curls up for a nap on the foot of her bed.

I would swear that I've read that cats can sleep 18 to 20 hours out of every 24.

Apparently Sweetie-Pie never got that message.

13 comments:

  1. I think they live to eat, nap, and be petted on their terms and time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before he retired Hubby got up quite early, and the cats were used to an early breakfast. When he retired we were down to one cat, who refused to change his habits. Now Hubby gets up to feed him and comes back to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I were part cat, so I could sleep as many hours as I would like. I'm more part dog, which means, "What did I just hear? Did I hear something?" all night long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cats are partly nocturnal. Mari has her own room with bed, litter box, automatic food dispenser and water where she is shut up at night. If I leave her out, even though she's not in my bedroom, she comes and cries at the door at an unacceptable time of the AM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually shut mine in the kitchen at night. He is pretty vocal at odd hours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My cat certainly sleeps that much, but she's old. I wondered about that staring thing, it drives me crazy and I had no idea it meant "food please" because her bowls always have food in them and she can eat when she wants. Except at breakfast when she prefers something fresh which is fair enough, last nights leftovers are dried out by then. What annoys me is she almost never eats the solids from her pouched foods, only the gravy/sauce/jelly, then crunches into her dry food. It would be handy for me if the companies had a range of "only gravy/sauce/jelly range.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is going to irritate you Bruce...

    Having had much experience with pet cats, I would say that it is important to set off with them as you mean to go on. Bedroom doors should be closed and their food should be cheap - no fancy stuff from the outset.

    Sounds like you and Judy have allowed Sweetie Pie to be the boss. We reap what we sow.

    I can hear you growling from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheap foods almost killed my Lola with her irritable bowels and other allergies. Now she gets better food and is very healthy.

      Delete
  8. Ha! Well, her four hours to be awake just happen to be between 2:30 and 6:30 a.m.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes, that look.

    Lacey seems to be more or less stopping bothering me at night. She'll get up on the bed, but if I don't acknowledge her in any way, she'll move off. If she sees me open my eyes, it might be another story altogether.

    ReplyDelete