Wednesday, September 6, 2023

WHO DAT?

So I was out prowling around our side yard, checking on our pretty-much-inactive tomato plant and a couple of vines to see which one was going to die first.

When a leaf caught my eye, apparently stuck to the wall.




Now it's a rough stucco wall so I could imagine a leaf having been blown up there and becoming attached.

But when I looked closer, I saw this leaf was actually a critter so I took a couple of more pictures of it.






When I showed the pictures to Judy and suggested it might be a Praying Mantis, she said "No, it's a Cicada."

Well, I went to the omniscient Google and the Cicadas it showed didn't look anything like this critter.

So I asked Google to show me some bugs that look like leaves and it promptly convinced me this was a member of the Tettigoniidae Family.

More commonly known as Bush Crickets or (especially in North America) Katydids!

And, just to put a fine point on it, the Google said they are nocturnal and that during the day when they're "resting" they assume a posture that causes them to resemble a leaf!

So case solved and thus ends today's lesson in Insect Identification.

I can't wait until nightfall when it may start "singing".

As I said to Judy, "It may be good that we're practically deaf!"

14 comments:

  1. tc Ha! That was a great sound of Indiana summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have these and wondered what they were and if they were the bugs that were eating holes in my plants . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does look SO much like a leaf! Great camouflage!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good catch! Hurray for the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love having all the knowledge in the world right there at my fingertips. Got a question? I'm off to see Mr. Google.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew it was a cricket right away, because I have seen a few here in my own garden, although none for a year or two now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cool. It really does look like a leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw Katydids! Memories of my youth...

    ReplyDelete
  9. We sometimes called these "leaf hoppers" and sometimes "katydids" back in the 1940s and 50s. I did NOT realize they were a type of cricket. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful creature - sculpted by millennia of natural evolution.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We call those Leaf-hoppers, for a very apparent reason. They drive my new dog crazy. He nudges them and they whirr off, leaving him bumfuzzled.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is quite an elegant looking creature.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know what is 'singing; outside here tonight, but it is loud.

    ReplyDelete