Monday, October 2, 2023

THE MOVIES

 We are trying out Amazon Prime Video for 30 days to see whether we like it.

I was looking through the movie offerings and came up with a couple that we watched the last few days.

First, I finally broke down and ran "Top Gun: Maverick".




As you probably know, it stars this guy.

Tom Cruise is 61 years old but her certainly doesn't look it in this "boy's adventure" film.

Lots of flying stunts and a brief appearance by Val Kilmer, who's been struggling since 2015 with throat cancer that has damaged his vocal cords.

Then last night, I picked out another movie - "Gotti" with John Travolta playing the featured part.




He does a spectacular job playing the late Mafia mob boss John Gotti.

But after watching that one, Judy said "All right, now you owe me one. I've had it with all this testosterone."

And, as you know, she is SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed).

I'd already had my eye on one that should please both of us.




George Clooney is one of her favorites and Julia Roberts is one of mine and their latest reunion in "Ticket to Paradise" is billed as a romantic comedy.

And actually I prefer "rom-coms" to "action movies" anyway.

Sorry, guys.

I'll let you know how it is.

19 comments:

  1. Ticket to Paradise is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You show good taste!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have Amazon Prime Video and mostly stream old TV shows we used to like back in the day. I think I'd like to watch that George Clooney and Julia Roberts film.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad has gotten hooked on Hallmark movies which my brother & I find HILARIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like Tom Cruise but would like to see Maverick. I have Amazon Prime through my son-in-law but haven't explored it as much as I should.

    ReplyDelete
  6. George & Julia sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also on Amazon: 'The Russia House', 'The Graduate' etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Prime! Often take slow ship of my purchase to get my $1 toward movie purchases like this one. Definitely a chick flick but who doesn't want to watch George and Julia? Right now I am rewatching Boston Legal on Prime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just came back to get the name of the Clooney/Roberts film. Re-reading this post reminded me that I wanted to mention that I once worked for Val Kilmer's father when my family first moved to California in 1970. His father was named Val as well. I am so sorry to see that young Val has throat cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoops, I had that wrong. I just remembered that Val's father was named Gene. It was such a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ticket to Paradise was pretty good — until the last scene.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen Ticket to Paradise and it was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wish we could use Prime. I have it for the free shipping, but can't stream because we have satellite internet. No access to high speed, cable , or fiber here, although fiber has been installed this year, just not activated yet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoyed John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever...not a fan of George Clooney..not sure why so many ladies are crazy about him.

    ReplyDelete
  15. To spice up their "leisure" time some older couples like to indulge in roleplay. You could actually be George Clooney and Judy could be Julia Roberts. It would be so much fun but first you would have to practise talking sexily like George Clooney.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Of course, with prime you also get music and free delivery of your Amazon purchases and discounts at Whole Foods. And you can read my book for free! Aloha, where you like go? In the Kindle version?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw that one at the theatre. It's not going to win any awards but it's enjoyable anyway.
    I just started a series on Prime called Secret State. I love a good British drama.

    ReplyDelete
  18. George and Julia seem to be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete