Wednesday, November 22, 2023

ZIP - BAKE - REMINDER

 The subject line on this post may be a bit confusing but it will be clear eventually.

I took Judy to her appointment at the orthopaedic office yesterday for her zipper removal.

But first, I was wondering why there's an a in that word above: orthopaedic.

I mean it's pronounced "or-tho-pee-dic".

No "a" sound there.

So, as any modern day inquisitor does, I consulted the All-Knowing Google.

And I learned that the word was coined by a French physician in the 17th century and that it comes from the Greek language.

Nowadays, it is the accepted spelling by the British and by academics but we good old Americans sometimes drop the "a".

Well, regardless, getting back to that zipper.

It's a fairly new device that closes a wound without stitches or staples.

It looks kind of like this:


 

It supposedly results in less pain and less scarring.

Anyway one of the medical staff just peeled it off and Judy said it went easy and without pain.

Just to clarify, that's not Judy's leg.

Knowing her modesty I did not even suggest photographing hers.

But progress is being made - her surgery to replace her knee joint was only just over two weeks ago.

She said she still has pain, mainly when the torturers running her physical therapy give her tricks to do, but she's given into the maxim: pain is part of the healing process.

So, I've been doing much more kitchen duty than in days gone by and yesterday was a milestone for me.

I made an Italian-ish ground beef pasta bake without using a recipe!




Leftovers!

Penne pasta, ground beef, a jar of marinara sauce, onions, peppers,  garlic, mozzarella and parmesan cheese, Italian spice blend, salt and pepper.

Judy fixed a simple salad and prepared some garlic bread.

Add a glass of red wine and we ate like royalty.

And right now Judy is making her famous beef stew to go in the slow cooker and a pumpkin pie for our Thanksgiving feast tomorrow.

So that's about all I've got for today.

Our high temperature for the big day tomorrow is forecast to not reach 60 degrees.

Nice crisp autumn weather.

I hope you all (who celebrate it) have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Oh, look who's here, kitty-kitty with a parting bit of advice.


15 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! Also happy news about Judy and her progress! I love the look of that penne bake. I'm all about pasta with a yummy sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That zipper is the greatest! Can hardly keep up with medical science or your baking. That looked like comfort food to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have LOVED to have that zipper for either of my hip surgeries. I swear getting the staples removed was as painful as the surgery!

    Your penne looks amazing - I keep promising to move in with you guys. One of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even the things that you do with leftovers look delicious.
    Glad the zipper came off so easily. Crazy stuff these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch, that zipper looks painful to me but I'm glad that Judy is doing so well with her recovery. Your house will smell delicious tomorrow! Mine too! Happy Thanksgiving to you and Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad Judy is making such good progress. Enjoy your Thanksgiving. You guys are two reasons to be grateful. Slainte'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Words coming from Greek seem to have diphthongs...double letters, like OE and AE...I wonder what letters they represent in the Greek Alphabet...and how many letters it has in total? ( Gaelic has 18...Welsh has 28.. English 26.. wonder what others have? ...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greek alphabet has 24 letters from Alpha to Omega.

      Delete
  8. You must have had a very sheltered upbringing in North Dakota Bruce! You have reached your 80's without knowing how to unzip a woman. But well done on the pasta dish. It looks scrumptious! And it sounds like Judy is doing well with her recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The casserole looks delicious. That zipper--maybe by the time I finallyget my knee done, they will have that technology here in WV. Seems to take a bit for things like that to crawl over the mountains. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. there are some very amazing treatments developed for us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad Judy is persevering, the end result will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Imagine being a Canadian and caught between British and American English. My online dictionary, as in Blogger, is American, but sometimes I want the British form and I get a squiggly red line. Then, I question myself.

    You're good with food. I can barely make toast without a recipe. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad the healing is going well, and that you're doing a good job helping out. I love that poster!

    ReplyDelete