Sunday, December 10, 2023

CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS

 It's that time of year once again.

Christmas Season, when people for some unexplained reason put colored lights and inflatable (or not) decorations in front of their places of residence.

For example, here is a photo taken last night in snowy Minot, North Dakota.



That's the home of my cousin, Cherie, who always decorates to the max.

It's a tradition that goes back decades, to when her late father used to clamber around on the roof well into his 80's putting lighted reindeer and Santas and sleighs up there.

Fortunately my cousin, who is only a few months younger than I am, hasn't continued that tradition.

When I spoke to her last night I told her it looked like Las Vegas.

She said "thank you"!

And I have no idea what those blue blotches are supposed to represent.

I could only think "snowflakes" and Elvis Presley's song "Blue Christmas".

Oh well, it gives her joy and she has a nephew to do the decorating for her.

Down here in Arizona many people do the same, lighting up the neighborhood with elaborate displays.

On the other hand, here's the extent of my outside decorating.



Give me some credit.

At least I didn't put out a lighted "Bah, Humbug" sign.

16 comments:

  1. I have just put pine branches in my planters but no lights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More so than I would put up, since I don't do this holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh. The last picture made me laugh. Three houses down from us, there is a house set further back from the house next to it. The people shine one of those projection lights on their neighbor's white house and whirling presents provide a backdrop to the light display in their yard. I am so very glad they don't live next to US!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't put up lights so you have more than I do! I have a wreath on the front door, tho.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I give you total credit since your decorating is more than I do outside! I don't get the over the top decorating. It wouldn't be fun for me and it mostly doesn't represent the actual holiday. However, it makes the people happy and harms no one! (except my eyes)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm all about simplicity so I like your window! But Cherie's house looks great too. My dad used to put a single strand of colored lights along the roofline of our house and I thought it was magical.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Christmas lights! Not much love for those blowup and plastic things though.I hark back to my pagan roots I guess, trying to drive away the darkness and evil spirits that lurk around this darkest time of year. I don't get into commercialized Christmas, but enjoy all the folkloric traditions, many of which were passed down to me by my English mother.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A string of 10 LED snowflakes between the pillars. Also not a fan of the lazy decorations that blow up. Of course they are so fun when they break their moorings and float up, up and away in the very strong wind we have!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your decorations look good enough for me. So far, I haven't put anything up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am pleased to live in a senior's complex where we are not allowed to decorate our balconies. We can hang a wreath from our front door if we don't puncture the door to do it. Lately, I have been getting more into the "reason for the season" so am thinking about baking a birthday cake.
    Linda Sand

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, some people go over the top when it comes to decorating. Some of it is outright tacky.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have more decorations than we do!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The blue looks cold, she needs to choose a warmer colour. Yours is understated elegance.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perhaps the blue botches on Cherie's house declare that she is a Democrat. I hope so anyway. The paltry lights on your house declare that you are a skinflint.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You do a little more than we do, outside. We do have swirling bulbs in the porch, but we haven't strung anything.

    ReplyDelete