Tuesday, January 16, 2024

WHAT'S HOT?

Okay, here's the thing.

The other day I saw a post from my friend who I call Montana Mike.

You know him on this blog as Mike from Should Fish More.

He was celebrating his 78th birthday with a homemade chicken soup to which he added a portion of a Thai Pepper that he had thawed out from his freezer.

He said it was good and cleared his sinuses for a few hours.

But he was a little early because today is, wait for it . . .

International Hot and Spicy Food Day.


(Photo by Emy)

Now I don't know who decides these things but I don't care either because it gives me something to blog about.

Anyway, getting back to Mike, I told SWMBO about his birthday dinner and she said "I have a jar of dried Thai chilis!"

And, in fact, she did and produced it from the pantry.



They looked pretty harmless to me, in spite of that word "HOT", so I pulled a few out to take a look.



I thought today might be the day to see what they're like since today is my friend Timmer's birthday and Timmer has always been a bit leery of any food other than true blue American and especially if there's a tad of heat to it.

I used to be a bit nervous about hot and spicy food too but my taste buds have either changed or died over the years and now I like a bit of heat in my cuisine.

Mexican, Indian, Thai, Szechuan . . . bring it on!

So I'm thinking that I should celebrate International Hot and Spicy Food day with something hot and spicy, perhaps using these Dried Thai Chilis.

But I don't have a recipe and the head cook here couldn't remember why she had them.

Stir-fry maybe?

So anybody got a dish for me?

19 comments:

  1. Nope because I would be the True Blue American cusines person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No help here either, as I am not a fan of hot and spicy foods. I even grow jalapeños that have no heat (such blasphemy!). I like the flavor but not getting my tonsils burned out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be careful, I googled them and it stated, do not be fooled these peppers are blazing hot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wear gloves and dont rub your eyes while handling them. Dee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dried, you can crumble them up and use them as 'any' seasoning. I like them as an addition to almost any soup, stew, casserole, etc. Stir fry is a great dish for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think added to a stir fry sounds good. With lots of rice to go with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Dee said, don't be fooled by these. They show up in a lot of Chinese dishes, and I made the mistake of eating one once. Now I make sure I push them to the side and eat the rest of the entree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would add them to soup. But I'm not a spicy lover so I would probably throw them in the trash. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nope. They look good sitting in a jar on the counter. That's the safest place for them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've actually had them in dishes before. Fortunately they were whole so I could recognize them and take them out, after I had bitten into the first one. 😊

    Please let us know how you like them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like tiny bites, not the whole pepper 🌶️

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the taste of hot and spicy but my body reacts badly so I stick with blander fare.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You could make a dried chili sandwich but be sure to have a jug of water and a glass of milk close by. By the way, how old are those dried chilies? The jar looks as though it has come from a food museum.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm thinking curry, but I don't have a specific recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I no longer seem to see Should Fish More. When you say he's 78, it seems so ancient. Then I remember that I am just 2 years younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AC,I'm still above ground, I still read your blog, I just don't comment much.

      Delete
  16. Chop or crush one, and sprinkle on whatever you are fixing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You could make a chili sauce and use it as a condiment.

    ReplyDelete