Tuesday, August 20, 2024

LEAKY FAUCET

 I don't think we've ever lived in a place that has had more problems than our current abode.

The latest irritation is a front outside faucet that leaked awhile back and that a plumber easily fixed by replacing a grommet.

Now I'd never heard of a grommet before but was shown that it was a tiny little washer.    

The old one had worn itself out and the new one stopped the leak pronto.

A very easy fix.

Except.

It began leaking again, first just a few drops and finally a somewhat steady plop-plop-plop.

Nothing I tried with the faucet would stop it.



(Photo showing ineffectual attempt to collect the water from the turned off but still-dripping faucet.)

So this morning I went into the back yard and reached down far into a tube to turn a faucet and shut off the water.

To the ENTIRE DUPLEX!

Fortunately the other side is presently unoccupied so it will be no problem there.

But for us, it means we have no water until we either get a plumber to solve our problem (and they all seem to be overwhelmed) or I turn it back on.

Gadfrey!

Fortunately we have a caring and cooperative owner/landlord who pays the bills on the property.

20 comments:

  1. Sometimes, if the grommet is installed too tightly, it will leak again before long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had lots of issues with my frost free bib and according to the plumber, who replaced the whole (long) thing, I was turning it off too tightly. I doubt that you have frost free bibs in AZ but it's a possibility?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's a bib on that faucet but the leak is elsewhere.

      Delete
    2. So, it's the pipe itself? *shudder*

      Delete
  3. We have something very similar. Rick says the next step is to open up the wall where the pipe is. That means remove the siding. I just hang the watering can on the faucet and in the morning it's full.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our kitchen faucet drips. I tried to get it fixed but was told we'd have to replace the whole faucet and I just can't bring myself to do that. So the drip continues. At least it's not getting worse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thecontemplativecat here. Fortunately we aren't in that boat. Hope it all dries up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel your pain. Our freezeless faucet springs a leak every single year. Larry has to dig a big deep trench to fix it. It is a muddy mess, but has to be fixed or our pump will keep running. Not good for the pump, which is some 700 feet in the ground and very expensive to replace. And of course, during repairs, the water to the house is turned off because I cannot convince him to put in a valve that would only turn off the faucet. On the other hand, we don't have to rely on a plumber, so I guess that's a plus. I sure hope your guy showed up and got your water back on. Can't be fun to be water-less in AZ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Plumbers don't spend enough time on these problems.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m so sorry about that! It was bad enough you had to move at all. 😟

    ReplyDelete
  9. —-Cheerful Monk

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Attach a hose to the dripping faucet and run it to the garden so the water won't be wasted. Or collect a couple of kettles full, turn off the water again and just replace the whole tap.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just assumed that you and Judy owned the property. Surely, any plumbing issue is the responsibility of the landlord/ landlady/ letting agency. However, if you pay for my return flight and hire car, I will pop over to fix the tap for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is rare these days for someone to know how to turn the water on and off at the main. But you and I have been around for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I saw a YouTube video about fixing a leaky faucet but I would be afraid to try it myself. Hope you can get this fixed soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Reading this reminded me of a time when an old friend was a property manager of many properties in Santa Cruz. Everyday he would say, "Plumbing is the bane of my existence." (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Errr....that's a pretty dramatic fix for a leaky faucet.

    ReplyDelete