Tuesday, July 10, 2018

GOOD NEIGHBORS

There's an old saying (or maybe I just made it up) that when you move to a new neighborhood it's a good thing if you have a cop living in the area.

Far as I know there's no policeman on my street but I do have the next best thing living across the street.


A fire captain!

Actually this is the SECOND time I've lived near a fire captain.

When we lived in Phoenix five years ago the house next door was owned by a captain with the Edmonton, Alberta, fire department.

Anyway, Captain D, my current neighbor, a couple of months ago, bought a vacant lot next to his home and planted a huge garden.


I was chatting with him the other day and noted that, though it was planted late, some of the corn was "knee high by the Fourth of July".


That's a pretty crumby picture of my knee in the lower left as a comparison.

We had a good rain today and SWMBO said his corn will probably grow a foot taller in the next day or two.

But I was also taken by what I found growing in the ditch at the edge of his field.


These thistles, which grow like common weeds, don't look like that much from a distance.

But they show off their beauty when one goes all macro with them.


Judy said this one looks like fireworks.




They're spiky and the green parts of the plant also have those sharp spikes which protect the plant from being eaten by herbivores.*

*Herbivores are animals that thrive on plants.  So says Wikipedia and I won't argue with that.

11 comments:

  1. Yes, firefighters are good folks. I once heard that only about 1% or 2% of the population have the psychological makeup to be firefighters, they are that unselfish and caring. All that I knew when I was on the Civil Service Commission definitely fit that profile!

    ReplyDelete

  2. One of my best friends from GF, retired as the Battalion Chief of EMTs in Broward County Florida. Don is an excellent human being.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool that you have a fire captain neighbor. Let's hope you don't need his expertise for anything other than growing corn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! You've been holding out on us with your macro talents, buster!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Corn in the arid area?

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. meanwhile my home county looks like this



    https://timesbulletin.com/Content/News/News/Article/Corn-Fields-ranked-fantastic-by-OSU-educator/2/4/215502


    the US is of vast and has such beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. always handy dandy to have a fire chief close or a policeman or police woman the thistles are beautiful, I have painted thistles to capture their beauty several times, prickly but beautiful,

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can do a midnight raid for corn when the crop is ready! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We might just be able to go one better, but we're not competing. About a couple of hundred meters [give or take] from here lives the local mayor [le maire]. He speaks excellent English and, of course, is the one person everyone turns to when trouble arises. We moved a week ago [4th. July!!] and have only just received temporary internet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's amazing how adaptable plants are -- even in relatively inhospitable (to plants) Arizona!

    ReplyDelete