Thursday, July 26, 2018

HEY! I'M BAKIN' HERE!

Actually, Dustin Hoffman's Ratso never said that in Midnight Cowboy.

But I thought it seemed right for this blog post.

Today we're going to France, thanks to the former Chez Panisse pastry chef and now resident of Paris, David Lebovitz.

If you look over to the right, you can find a link to his blog.

But today is cherry season when there is an abundance of the wonderful fruit and the prices are low.

So what do we do with "just a bowl of cherries"?

We make a cherry clafoutis, that's what we do.


The classic French dessert can really puff up just before it comes out of the oven.

But once out on a cooling rack, it begins to sink rapidly, like a souffle.


There are a ton of recipes for this beauty on the World Wide Web.

Some say to pit the cherries, some say not to pit the cherries.

Lebovitz said to pit them but I was feeling lazy so they went in with the pits remaining.

Just have to remember they're in there when we're devouring this thing.


You can sprinkle the top with some powdered (confectioner's) sugar before you dive in, if you like.

As Lebovitz says, "..it's made to be a rustic, casual dessert, so feel free to personalize it."

Enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. Of course I imagine it will be delicious, because it reminds me of a pizza. A fruity pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two would love the series I'm watching on Netflix right now - "Somebody Feed Phil". Eating around the world! It's a treat!

    ReplyDelete

  3. Not so ambitious in HOT SoCal, that said we did have croissants with butter for breakfast. I added a small bowl of fruit, melon, grapes, bananas, poured some whole grain cheerios on top, added milk and some honey, good. Salad for dinner with some beans, cheese and chopped turkey on top. Too hot to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeeze, Jager, don't you have A.C. over there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very popular in the south-west of France, I understand. Cherries are particularly good in that region, and used [pitted!!!!] in the delicious product.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks and sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I saw your headline listed on another blog roll, I assumed you must be out here on the west coast where we are baking. Even though our temps are over 100 degrees every day, I too have been baking in my oven along with baking in the sun! Cinnamon rolls and fruit pastries have been the byproducts of all that heat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks beautiful! I'll give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's fun to discover that you are a follower of David Lebovitz too! I've made many of his recipes and most I've really enjoyed. I think the last one I made was a chocolate cake dotted with soft caramels. Or, maybe it was the chocolate chip cookies made with tahini.

    ReplyDelete