Tuesday, October 9, 2018

BITTERS

I was reading an article yesterday about the strange custom among residents of Wisconsin of drinking bitters by the shot.

It is so popular that bars get $4.50 per shot and one bar even has a deal with a distributor to buy 20 gallon kegs of the stuff so he can have the bitters on tap.

Now I knew that Angostura bitters were a tiny component of various cocktails.


My research showed they are absolutely necessary for a good Manhattan.

But I learned that a combination of Angostura and Peychaud bitters, as well as a number of other things make for a Sazerac cocktail - a New Orleans favorite.

I don't think I've ever had a Manhattan and I've never been to New Orleans or had a Sazerac and I don't think I'd ever tasted bitters by themselves.

So I went and found the bottle of Angostura bitters tucked away in our pantry and shook a few drops into a glass and tasted it.

Not bad, though I can't imagine drinking a shotglass full of it.

It tasted to me like a combination of sweet and bitter.

One of the Wisconsin drinkers said it tasted "like Christmas."

I'm not sure what I'll use them for.

I looked up "cooking with bitters" and learned that they don't react well to heat and that some recommended uses include a few drops in salad dressings or whipped creams or on ice cream.

I guess I'll experiment.

I'll let you know if I come up with anything sensational.

And if any of you Gentle Readers know of something to use them for, let me know.

10 comments:

  1. Good luck with your lab work. We'll be awaiting the results. In the meantime I suggest you'e reached an age when you might as well try a Manhattan. My former colleague and long time friend Kevin prefers a Manhattan to any drink int he world. They are pretty good, but I still prefer my vodka on ice with either a twist or an olive if I'm in a martini mood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tasted bitters either by itself, or in a mix. I think I'll keep it away, the name alone gives me pause.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Used to enjoy a Southern Comfort Manhattan with a cherry on top! Can't believe you've never had one. Rick prefers a Rob Roy. Bartenders barely know these 'old fashioned' drinks anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shows you what I know about drinking- I thought, 'bitters'?

    ReplyDelete

  5. Never been to New Orleans? Get your wrinkled butt in gear and go. Eat drink and listen to great music. You won't regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A sugar cube in the bottom of a glass, a few drops of bitters, top with champagne! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You would love New Orleans, Bruce.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard of bitters, but have no experience with it. I'd say the bitters industry should revitalize itself with a new name! Like when panties became THONGS, and thongs became FLIP-FLOPS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't had any appetite for dinner in the evening lately. But I've been putting a couple of drops of bitters in my vodka and water(s) tonight and I think I can eat pretty soon. 'Course the aroma from the beef stew Judy is heating up might be helping, too.

    Oh, and I've never been into Manhattans or Old Fashioneds or Rob Roys because I don't really like the taste of whiskey or scotch. ('Course, in an emergency . . .)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting post. I had no idea that people were drinking shots of bitters. I've only had the kind that go in cocktails.

    ReplyDelete