Monday, November 26, 2018

OH, NO!

When we first moved in here about 18 months ago we were visited regularly by a big long cat who I started calling Slim Shady.

Later when we met our neighbors across the street we learned the friendly cat was named Matty.

When they first got him they thought he was a girl and named him Maddy.

They changed the name slightly when they learned "the facts of life" about him.

They also told us that he would come looking for food but to ignore him because he was very well fed at home.

He became a regular visitor in our back yard and would come up to the slider and stare inside.

The other day SWMBO opened the door and let him in!

She said it was cold outside and he asked so politely.

Well, he made the rounds of our small apartment, seeming to map the place.

Today I had just returned from the grocery store and was standing in an open doorway when I saw something streak past me.


Yup, it was Matty.

So once again he was taking a tour.

Surprisingly Muggles and he have not had a problem with each other.

Muggles seems curious but not defensive.


In the photo above, Matty has found one of the cat toys lying around the place that Muggles has grown bored with.

But there must still be some traces of catnip in it.


Matty wrestled it into submission until I decided he had been here long enough and picked him up to put him out.

He was docile until he saw Muggles cross our path.

He snarled and made a backhanded swipe at me.

And yes, he got me.


It's just a scratch but I guess I got what I deserved and I was a little more careful as I carried him to the door and put him out.

I hope this doesn't become a regular thing.

12 comments:

  1. Which part of your anatomy did Matty scratch Mr C? It's hard to tell from your photo but I am hoping it's not a close-up of what I think it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just my arm, YP, just my arm! :^D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had a bad run in with an angry cat so you were lucky to get just that one nasty scratch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No future tense anxiety needed-it IS and WILL BE a regular things.

    Keep that wound cleaned...you don't know where those claws have been!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No good deed goes unpunished! That's his thanks for your hospitality. Animals gonna animal. They operate on instinct.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have several polite cats who claim hunting and meditating privileges on our property, but I've never tried to touch one. Apparently their code of politeness allows shredding hosts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. not all cats like being picked up..and you were interfering in Cat politics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually he's quite docile about being picked up. It was just when he saw the other cat cross our path he felt he had to get down in case a fight was imminent. As Val said, he was just operating on instinct.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm reminded of the PBS special I saw last year on the secret life of cats. It documented all the cats in one English village. I loved how they would find the "cat doors" at neighbor's houses and go in and help themselves to food where they found it.

    ReplyDelete