Thursday, November 1, 2018

THE MIX MASTER

For months and months I've been pining and pining for a stand mixer for our kitchen.

So many of the recipes that I look at online seem to start with "In the bowl of a stand mixer . . ."

I really was enamored of the KitchenAid brand because all the reviewers said it was the best.

But the price was way too high for our budget.

Then the other day SWMBO brought me a page she'd torn from an old magazine she was throwing away.

It showed a Hamilton Beach mixer, said it was nearly as good as the KitchenAid and was only $100.

With what was left of a gift card on my Amazon Prime membership the price came down to around $60.

With Judy's nod, I ordered it.

Two days later, it was on my counter.



Does he look confused?

Yesterday I finally broke it in.

No, no, no, Gentle Readers, I did not say I broke it.

But there is a bit of a learning curve.

By the time I was through with it there was a not- so-fine coating of flour over it, the counter and the floor nearby.

But the bread dough was mixed perfectly.

Then there were a few minutes of kneading and later rolling it out.

I remembered midway through the latter process a trick SWMBO had taught me sometime back.

The bread board will move around on the counter so just put a damp cloth under it and that will stop.

Well, it was too late for that so I struggled through and finally had two loaves in the oven.

Here are my finished products.


Two slightly irregular French baguettes.

As Judy pointed out, they could have stayed a bit longer in the oven to brown a bit more but the taste was amazing.

Especially compared with the ones I've brought home from the grocery store.

Crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside and a great flavor.

We dined on them, some Brie cheese and another of Judy's great slaws for our evening repast last night.

And we kept the outside lights off and never had a trick-or-treater.

So now, not only do I have that fancy new stand mixer to play with but I also have a (nearly) full bag of candy!

And the November baking season is upon us!

13 comments:

  1. I have been wanting a stand mixer myself for a very long time. In fact, my friend David texted me yesterday to tell me that Costco had the KitchenAid on sale for $250.00. Still pretty high. This one looks almost exactly like it! And, the bread looks wonderful. You might have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never had one. Had a bread machine for awhile. I make pie crust in a food processor. But, we don't make bread or pizza dough anymore. Your mixer must have dough hooks. I am enjoying Costco's seasonal walnut cranberry bakery bread this fall. Enjoy your new toy! May it give you years of pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bread looks lovely! The stand mixer we got as a wedding gift (nearly 28 years ago) finally stopped working a couple of years ago. We have a handheld one, but really neither of us is much of a baker. I take that back - Mike makes EXCELLENT cakes, but he rarely makes them anymore. What I'd really like is a food processor to make soups & such, but since I'm the queen of buying gadgets I never use I think I'll refrain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha-twins! I got a Kitchenaid one with several gift cards and a smokin' sale from Bed, Bath and Beyond about six months ago, but have kept it in the box as a retirement gift to myself. Mine is a gorgeous turquoise. I'll be unveiling it soon. My one retirement promise to my hubby is one homemade dessert a week (which of course will be enough to last us a full week)...but we didn't get many kids last night either, so we have a HUGE amount of Halloween candy left.

    We will need to share recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love bread baking in the fall and winter. I am now trying out different gluten free mixtures as the Big Bear has become intolerant of much gluten. I have had a bread machine for eons but enjoy mixing and pounding the dough by hand. But, bravo for you for learning how to use this new gadget!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there a recipe for mixing candy?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The baguettes look great to me! We have a very old mixer but it still works!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job on the Bread. Will standby for further adventures of Bruce and the mixer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, so that's what that thing is called.

    Shows you how much time I spend in a kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If it keeps you off the streets and out of trouble, it's a good investment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My late friend Tom a musician turned pro baker suggested a small metal bowl of water in the oven while baking bread. The steam somehow enhances the flavor. Tom had steam injection ovens in his bakery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jager, the water/steam helps make the bread crusty. I basted the bread a couple of times with a water/egg white mix.

    ReplyDelete
  13. good for you! I enjoy making bread by hand, but if thats a problem,use the technology!

    ReplyDelete