Wednesday, February 19, 2020

BOB SHANE

Yesterday I featured the Kingston Trio in a short blog post.

It apparently brought back good memories for quite a few of you.

Steve (in London) called my attention to the news that the last of the founding members of the group, Bob Shane, had just died recently.

Through the generosity of the Great Google, I learned that that occurred just down the road from me, in Phoenix, and that he had been 85 years old.

I was struck, in reading his obituary, that he said in a 2011 interview that occasionally someone will call him and ask him to go on stage and he would quickly pack a couple of oxygen tanks and go.

I assumed that meant he would have the oxygen backstage to prepare him for his performance and to renew him afterward.

But no!

I learned that he would go on stage with his portable oxygen tank and perform with the tubing strapped on.

So here, for all of you fans, is a video of him in his senior years wearing oxygen and singing the song that he made his own.




That is an illustration of a trouper.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. It was wonderful to watch him sing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff! The Kingston Trio must have put out about a zillion albums. Only one of them actually read music, probably Bob Shane.

    I'm still waiting for Charlie to get that nickle so he can finally return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brings back lots of great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's pretty darn amazing! I had no idea he sang while still wearing his oxygen tube. As you said, a trouper! "Scotch and Soda" is one of my favorite Kingston Trio songs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe, it was actually Dave Guard who was the sole member to be able to read music. And that was the main reason he left the group only 2 or 3 years into their fame. But he did reunite with Bob and Nick many years later for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Bruce. One of my favorite songs--somewhat self-descriptive--by one of my favorite performers. It was good to hear him sounding so good at his age. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shared this with several guys who were all at school at the same time. Our student union juke box seemed too play Scotch and Soda on a loop. In many ways it was the "score" of that time of life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My folks really loved listening to the Kingston Trio and the Limeliters. That has been passed on to me. Thanks for sharing this!!!

    ReplyDelete