Sunday, May 24, 2020

A DARK VISITOR

The great philosopher Groucho Marx once said: "If a black cat crosses your path, it signifies that the animal is going somewhere."

So much for superstition.

A black cat who frequents our neighborhood sometimes stops off for a drink in our back yard.

Some times he curls up close to the slider door for awhile and if I approach from the other side of it he just glares at me.

If I open the door he skitters off, not tame enough to allow me to make contact with him.

Our fire captain neighbor says he's a troublemaker and bullies the other cats in the area.

At any rate he visited the cat pub the other day and then went up the wall and disappeared into another yard.

I was just able to catch one quick shot of him.


If you have a black cat in your neighborhood, just remember the words of Groucho.

We've had a couple (Primo and Blackwell) for pets in days gone by and they were good members of our family.

9 comments:

  1. Apparently my cat has taken to sitting atop my new neighbor's truck, something he doesn't care for. So my wife and I are trying to keep our cat indoors, something he really hates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents had a black cat for years that was totally spoiled by them. She was a lovely housemate for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a black kitty cat for years until the day he disappeared and was never seen again. He was a very sweet boy. I like Groucho Marx's observation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a black cat, but he has white tuxedo markings. He's always been antisocial. Like he just tolerates us, to give him food. Runs away in disgust if we try to pet him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a amazing how comfortable cats are coming into your yard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have Mr. Kenny (like, of The Ink Spots) who my neighbor and I fed the year he was a kitten. He disappeared that summer for a month, and returned with a notched ear, so I assume someone got him in for Trap Neuter Release. He comes out to give me a distant Hi when I'm in the back, and he looks healthy, so someone is feeding him.

    All black. I assume my garden is part of His Territory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have owned a lot of Felines that Adopted us and came to us as Strays or Feral Animals. Trust takes Time, we have One left now, perhaps our Last, but you never know. I've said that before and then one shows up to replace one that has gone on to the Afterlife. *LOL* We've oddly never had a Black One show up and Stay tho'... but I like Groucho's Observation, even tho' I'm a very Superstitious person having been Raised by Parents from very Superstitious Cultures... it just sticks. *LOL* Of coarse our Superstitions didn't include the Black Cat one... but God the amount of spilled Salt my Mother threw over her Shoulder was impressive over a Lifetime! *Winks*

    ReplyDelete
  8. There was a "neighborhood" cat that lived around my old house on the other side of town. He was black and white and I'd find him lounging in my yard or the neighbor's yard on many occasions. I think he pretty much thought of the whole street as his territory and he patrolled it regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! That's a great quote from Groucho. Olga keeps cats away from our garden -- which is good because I want to give the birds a chance!

    ReplyDelete