Thursday, September 8, 2022

THE QUEEN

 For most of my life "The Queen" has only meant one person, Queen Elizabeth.

I can remember vividly the day of her coronation.




I was a 13 year old boy living in North Dakota, just 50 miles from the Canadian border.

We could pick up many Canadian radio stations and I spent the day listening to the BBC coverage of the big event in far away London.

As a self-admitted Royalist though not governed by the Monarchy, I watched through the years as this young woman lived and ruled on and on and on.

And now, finally, she is gone. 

Only two days ago she named a new Prime Minister, her 15th.

It's a melancholy day for me and for many others in Britain and throughout the world.




She did well and history will long remember her.

11 comments:

  1. Love the photos you chose! She was 96!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a classy and intelligent person. She was the consummate leader. No one will ever match her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was a great and a good person. The world is a darker place with her no longer in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though she was 96 it was still such a shock since she had seen their new Prime Minister on Tuesday. It is all over our tv and radio stations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire her so much. She did her duty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She became Queen in February 1952, three months before I was born. She was The Queen all of my life. She will always be remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many people will long remember her, but children born this year or even five years ago, will not. They may see pictures and wonder, but that wondering will be short-lived. Like NewRobin13, she was Queen for all of my life also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What can I say? It came as such a shock, even though I was sort of expecting it. I am not a monarchist, but that's not the point right now. She was a bigger person than the office she held; a taller woman than the crown she wore. Or so I think. And as she said not very long ago, "Grief is the price we pay for love."

    ReplyDelete
  9. We will all miss her -- a constant presence in a changing world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can remember as a little girl how I was fascinated by the thought of this very young and beautiful Queen. On vacation in Canada with my parents, I saw a calendar photo of her in the hotel lobby and I couldn't stop staring at it.

    ReplyDelete