Saturday, January 14, 2023

A DAY WITH THE DUCKS (AND GEESE)

 There are two small lakes in the center of my town, close to where we live now.

So we drive down and visit the abundant and varied waterfowl.







I think the larger birds in the front of the above photo are geese but I'm no Audubon so I can't be sure.

This guy, in his dress-up white suit surely must be a goose, mustn't he?



Meanwhile up at the upper, smaller pond, many of the birds seemed to prefer dry land to the water on this chilly day.





The lakes supposedly are stocked with Rainbow Trout, Largemouth Bass, Sunfish, Bluegill, Channel Catfish and White Amur and from time to time we see hopeful anglers trying their luck.

For we old retirees with time on our hands it's a nice place to spend some time communing with nature.

16 comments:

  1. Oh my. I love seeing waterfowl. We lived along the Mississippi River and the water fowl were beautiful. In the fall after the corn harvest, the Canadian geese zoomed in on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see Canadian Geese, Mallards, Coots, and another duck I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like the birds have found the place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fain Park or Lynx Lake? I envy you enjoying all around us. Always way too busy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We both had ducks on our minds today. It's relaxing watching them interact with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are nice little lakes! We just have a small pond, but even that is a great place to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely post. It takes me back many a year to the Slimbridge Wild Fowl Trust in England, where I was surrounded by a massive flock of Hawaiian geese, which I was feeding. Such gentle birds...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to see the geese and ducks there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We get lots of geese and ducks around here especially on the river that flows through the city. I always feel a chill when I see them sitting on the icy water!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love seeing ducks but am scared of geese after being chased by a particularly aggressive one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The funny thing is, your ducks and geese are pretty much the same as the ones we have here!

    ReplyDelete