Tuesday, May 9, 2023

SWIZZLIN'

 My wife laughs at me because I insist on stirring the drinks I make at home with what's probably now an antique swizzle stick.

I got it many years ago from a then-popular restaurant in Scottsdale, Arizona.

Trader Vic's was one of a Polynesian-themed chain that was a big hit across the country and certainly in Arizona with it's tiki-statues and it's "authentic(?)" food and drinks of the South Seas.

I loved the place.

And I've had this swizzle stick ever since, even though the restaurant closed in 1990.




It's made of plastic and I'm amazed that it's lasted all these years.

But maybe it's the Menehune.




They are a mythological group of dwarf people in Hawaiian culture that supposedly pre-date the arrival of people from Polynesia.

Well, Trader Vic (Victor Bergeron) bought into the mythology and they were featured on his menus.

AND on his swizzle sticks!




I don't know about their mystical powers but they've sure kept my swizzle stick safe all these years

Now watch.

I'll probably break it tomorrow.

11 comments:

  1. What a great souvenir! Trader Vic’s was considered the height of cool back in the day. A group of us went there for dinner on prom night and sitting at a corner table was Reggie Jackson!!! For one night we were part of the in crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a cool old swizzle stick. I'm glad you've been stirring with it for all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of my neighbor's x-rated African swizzle sticks which were not PC correct on so many fronts! My parents didn't want me to see them, but these were the neighbors that I watched golf with every Sunday after they played 18 holes. Since I got the cherries from their Manhattans, I was fascinated with their swizzles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used to go to the Seattle one for dances and it seemed so exotic to me! I don't have a swizzle stick though!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice to have something that reminds you of good times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least if you do, you won't be surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember swizzle sticks! My mum had quite the collection once upong a time and I had a few myself, although I don't drink so they never got used and I don't know why I had them apart from liking the way they looked. I haven't seen a swizzle stick in decades!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A man needs a reliable swizzle stick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have two or three of those sticks too. I haven't thought about Trader Vic's in ages. I went there several times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When we were hoeing out the hoarder's house, we found boxes and boxes of swizzle sticks. 'who on earth uses these,' I wondered. I mean they were not even recyclable. And now I meet someone on this earth who does use them. You're lucky I didn't know you then.

    ReplyDelete
  11. quite enjoyed the sharing
    mom had habit to keep things for long .i think this is skill special people can carry :)
    blessings

    ReplyDelete