Tuesday, June 6, 2023

6-6

 Today, June 6th, is a day marking many events.

To many, it is D-Day, the day in 1944 when British, Canadian and American troops stormed the beaches of Normandy, France in World War Two.




But there are other events that happened on this day.

In 1523, Gustav Vasa was elected King of Sweden and the day today is celebrated as the National Day of Sweden, though historians quibble about the actual date.

In 1859, Queensland separated from New South Wales in Australia, becoming a separate colony.

The day is still celebrated as Queensland Day down under.

Much more recently, on this day in 1987 my wife Judy and I crossed the border from Nogales, Arizona to Nogales, Sonora, Mexico and a happy life as expatriates that lasted over 4 years.

You might say it was D Day for us with the D standing for departure.

And then, as I've written here before, June 6th in 1904 was the day my mother, Hattie Loretta Hylland, was born.

She would be 119 today.

Here's an early picture of she and my dad during their courting days.




Though she left us way too soon, I always think of her on this day.

20 comments:

  1. And today would have been my Dad's 100th birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting to be of an age where we look back at our parents when they were younger than us, seeing them and understanding what we didn't see when we were young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. I can't imagine Mom acting like that young girl in the picture but I can see my Dad acting that way.

      Delete
  3. She has such a look of joy on her face! And a beautiful smile. My mom remembered that today was D-Day whereas I thought it was tomorrow. I'm ashamed of myself. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The tide has turned. The free men of the world are marching together to victory." - General Eisenhower

    ReplyDelete
  5. The impressive thing about Eisenhower was after he said goodbye to the troops he went in and wrote a letter taking all the blame if the invasion went wrong. What a contrast to today.
    ---Cheerful Monk

    ReplyDelete
  6. A momentous day across the years.
    My youngest son was 34 yesterday..and our neighbour was 60

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea about the Queensland/NSW separation. Now that I have read it, I'll probably forget entirely by next year's June 6th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since neither one is your state, I can understand that.

      Delete
  8. new world with new kind of wars indeed

    your mother must be special lady ,she looks so happy in this photo .
    missing mother seems universal feeling for kids of all ages indeed !
    blessings

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's fun seeing old family photos and realizing how our parents were when they were young. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure your mom would be happy to know that you still think of her on this day. She was the same age (a few months apart) as my grandfather. I am embarrassed to say that D-Day didn't even cross my mind yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As busy as you keep yourself, that is understandable.

      Delete