Tuesday, September 19, 2023

BASICALLY BILL

If you want to see a great acting performance, watch Bill Nighy in "Living", on Netflix.



The accomplished British actor is at his best in this quiet movie, an adaptation of the 1952 film "Ikiru" by Akira Kurosawa, which was based on a novel by Leo Tolstoy.

Pretty good names with which to be connected.

It is the story of a bureaucrat in England, shuffling papers endlessly, who learns that he has a terminal illness and then begins to live his life.

Nighy is amazing, displaying an entire range of emotions, especially in a scene in a darkened living room where he relives moments from his life telling each story with only his facial expressions.

As I said to Judy last night as we watched, "Now *that's* acting!"

But you don't need to take my word for it.

Nighy is nominated this year in the Best Actor category for the Academy Award, a Golden Globe, a Screen Actors Guild award, and a BAFTA (Britain's equivalent of an Oscar) by the British Film Association.

I've long been a fan of Nighy but he proves his worth in this film.

12 comments:

  1. Also a long time fan of Nighy and loved this movie. Another one of my favorites of his is 'About Time'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny! I just this morning posted about this movie on my blog! Your review is much better. Nighy has my deepest respect for the way he sinks into a character, whether comic, or in this case, tragic yet quietly heroic. I first noticed him in Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, and now seek out his films.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a fan too so will have to seek this film out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen the movie, and it will likely pass through my mind, but I have enjoyed seeing this actor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't seen it, but I like him as an actor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the recommendation. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. tc Cambria....Glad you saw. I think I recommended it to you. I've been singing its praises, and singing that memorable song as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen this but it was a while ago so don't remember much about it except it was kind of slow moving. I usually watch things with a lot more action. I do like Bill Nighy as an actor though. I have seen him in several other movies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the recommendation! Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, thanks, I've written it down so I won't forget. I'm always looking for good things to watch on Netflix!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the recommendation, the movie was wonderful. I am old enough that I got emotional while watching it. I read your blog all of the time just don't comment.

    ReplyDelete