Monday, September 18, 2023

RETRO REDFORD

 Now there's no argument with the claim that Robert Redford is a very good looking man.

Or that he has made a lot of entertaining movies.

But after watching four of his films in a week, I think I'll give him a rest for awhile.

Last night, Judy and I watched "The Company You Keep", his movie about a 1960's radical who's been blamed for being part of a gang that killed a guard while pulling off a bank robbery.

But he's been living his life under an assumed name all these years as a responsible attorney.

The story tells of a young newspaper reporter (Shia LeBeouf) trying to uncover his background and then prove him innocent.



The movie is a cavalcade of cameos.

Along with Redford and LeBeouf, there are short appearances by Susan Sarandon, Nick Nolte, Sam Elliott, Chris Cooper, Anna Kendrick, Richard Jenkins and Stanley Tucci.

Longer appearances include Julie Christie and Terrence Howard.

It's great seeing all those old familiar faces but, as I told my friend Mike (who suggested the movie) in an email, while entertaining I felt the film with its feel-good ending was a bit of a fairy tale.

The other Redford movies I watched this past week were "The Electric Horseman" (pretty good), "The Great Waldo Pepper" (not so great), and "Our Souls at Night" (thoughtful).

Now, as much as I like "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" (I've enjoyed it several times over the years), I think I'll take a Redford break.

8 comments:

  1. Like Tucci and Christie in anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen A Walk in the Woods? Very funny. He bought the rights to the book for him and Paul Newman, but Newman died before they could make it. After it sitting on the shelf for a few years he cast Nick Nolte as the side kick. Emma Thompson as is wife is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We subscribe to those two British streams, Britbox and Acorn, and mostly watch mystery series. It's generally very good tv -- better than ours IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He always sort of plays himself, doesn't he? I like him a lot as an actor but he doesn't have as much range as some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, but the only other Redford movie I know is Brubaker, where he goes to prison as an undercover inmate to uncover all the wrongdoings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always liked him. But 4 movies in one week might be a bit of overload. Although it is the season to watch the Natural.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LaBeouf is enough of a reason for me not to see it.

    My favourite Redford film- The Sting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must be strange because I don't think he's that good looking.

    ReplyDelete