Tuesday, December 26, 2023

A NEW BEGINNING

The Christmas Holiday is finally over, though some places are still closed today.

Perhaps to recover from hangovers?

As noted above, it feels like a new beginning to me.

I know those feelings are not supposed to set in until January First or Second but it has come early to me.

We had a very quiet Christmas Day, just the two of us here.

The indomitable SWMBO was in full battle mode in the kitchen much of the day, producing a delicious dinner of baked ham, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes and gravy, warm dinner rolls.

And she moaned because she hadn't provided a green vegetable to go with all of that food.

Lordy!

Every year after one of these feasts, she declares that will be the last holiday meal she prepares.

"It just doesn't make sense to go to all that trouble when it's just the two of us!", she says.

But then the next holiday rolls around and away she goes again.

We had a visit from the BAD and a companion on Christmas Eve in the afternoon.

Drinks and finger foods were consumed.

And then the BAD lived up to her acronym by producing these two "gifts".




Treachery!

I had warned her the last time not to ever bring another jigsaw puzzle into our house!

But had she listened?

Apparently so because as I ranted and raved at this malicious act, she just sat there and LAUGHED at me!

Two puzzles!

One of them has 500 pieces, the other ONE THOUSAND!

She's trying to drive me mad, I tell you.

Oh well, eventually I shall relent and we will get them out and solve them.

We may be even more doddering when that trial is over but we shall solve the bloody things.

So, (pant, pant), how was your Christmas?

15 comments:

  1. I could write the same post about a super Christmas feast and then seriously declaring it's the last. Yes, it's too much work for two. then the next year the big dinner is still prepared. At this age food is not such an important issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had ham, mashed potatoes and green beans here but I realized just from reading your post that I should have served Sweet Potatoes!! That would have really made it perfect! It was fun but I'm glad it is done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family celebrates on Christmas Eve at my brother’s in Mesa. We had his traditional steak and baked potatoes from his grill and lots of appetizers courtesy of Linda. After presents we had a rousing game of Taboo. Lots of fun. On Christmas Day I usually go on a hike, spend some time in nature, basically just refueling. This year the hike got pushed to today, so I’m getting ready to head out now. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love veggies so roasted carrots, parsnips,sweet potatoes, turnips, & a few brussel sprouts. There was also green beans and pork tenderloin and a fresh baguette. We will be eating leftovers for days which is a nice thing. Oh and we had a yule log for dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once we have calmed down from the festivities, it seems natural to begin either looking back or forward to both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are beautiful puzzles; I'm not good with them but will occasionally help John out with one. I'm not spatial at all! The feast sounds delicious and the great thing is that it's completely your choice what you do or have. (or don't!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I gave my dad a puzzle for Christmas too (but it was really for me - I just work them at his house).

    I wonder if the holiday cooking issue is like I've heard childbirth is - you forget how hard it was so you'll do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't cook, so I buy ready made meals from a shop here. Shepherds pie and blueberry pie for me. Just popped a plate in the microwave for dinner last night, and same tonight. I've spent the last two days quietly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She loves you, man! I mean, two puzzles, that's some love. As for the dinners, yes, I understand your wife. No explaining it, it just is,

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pleasure reading this post! I know what you mean about fresh beginnings. Finally got Christmas handled the future beckons! Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sympathize! I seldom do jigsaw pules and when I do they have a lot fewer pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the jigsaws! my brother would enjoy the beach one, though he prefers them with 1000 or 1500 pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your meal sounds great. I understand that feeling of "I'm never going to do that again" but I do and somehow I enjoy it. I made a herb and spice roasted filet of beef. It was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our Christmas was very much like yours, just the two of us...nice and quiet. Those puzzles look like they could be a lot of fun to put together. I'm looking forward to seeing pics when you're done. (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I say bravo on the puzzles! It's great that you have a challenge to work on! And the dinner sounds scrumptious, green vegetable or not.

    ReplyDelete