Saturday, July 27, 2024

MY ABSENCE

 Sorry, my friends, for leaving you in the lurch Friday.

It's a long story.

It began Wednesday evening when I had consumed three drinks and a quantity of wine at dinner.

Later I stepped outside, either blacked out or tripped and fell to the pavement, striking my head and leaving a good bit of blood in the driveway.

Friends who were next door were summoned by my wife and rushed over and got me to my feet, then parked me in Judy's Rollator and then called 911.

The fire department and a crew from an ambulance company came and I was put on a stretcher and loaded into the ambulance.

Judy said I was talking to her but the only memory I have from when I walked out the door was when I was loaded into the ambulance.

Some of the examination at the hospital I may remember and then a doctor telling me I had a brain bleed and they were sending me by ambulance to a hospital in Phoenix.

I spent a couple of days in the I.C.U., undergoing various tests, and another 36 hours or so in a regular room.

I remember one doctor telling me two drinks a night should be my limit.

I remember another technician telling me a surgeon had ruled it was not necessary to operate on my head.

And I remember doing a lot of soul searching, though the doctors and nurses and technicians who took care of me probably would doubt that, as my constant sense of humor took over and I refused most of the time to take my situation seriously.

My wife's daughter, aka The BAD, brought her down to the big city three times, including today when they brought a slightly remorseful appearing jackass home.

Some changes will be made in my life, even though I am 84.

But never fear, the Friday Funnies will continue.

Next week.

35 comments:

  1. Glad you’re ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bloody hell man, you're very lucky. I'm glad you're home and able to continue with those Friday funnies. Please be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such issues are alarming. Things happen so fast that we don't know what happened. You were in good hands and are apparently in reasonable health and you have some home work. All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oof - very scary! I'm glad you're back home again. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I didn’t get your Friday Funnies I was afraid you had disowned me over political affiliations. I’m so glad it was just you cracking your skull.
    Seriously, I’m so sorry you were hurt and hold the best of thoughts for your recovery, it sounds like you are in good hands. Don’t do that again. 💕

    ReplyDelete
  6. How frightening, I am glad you recovered without needing brain surgery or whatever surgery they ruled out. Now be good in future and continue to send us funnies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! This is not good at all. Good to hear you are better now though. Did they say you might have had a mini stroke? I hope you follow the doctors advice and cut down the drinking and I hope that helps. I'd been thinking you were just too busy doing other things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must have had my tri focals on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank God you are OK, that all must have been
    frightening for you and your family,I suppose most of us have had to
    implement changes in our
    life for medical reasons,
    glad to see you getting back on track,-Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you're okay! Slamming your noggin on the pavement is nothing to sneeze at! Whatever the cause, you were lucky to have neighbors looking out for you when SWMBO needed help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an adventure. Glad you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you are on the mend..yes, our limits reduce as the years go on....
    You have good family around you xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am from SE Ohio and read your blog on a regular basis. I love the Friday Funnies too. They make me smile. When you didn't post, it was concerning. So glad you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the update, we do worry about you. And your reporter brain kicked in, a nice factual report, some things never change. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was worried when the funnies didn't show up. Glad that you are okay. We have cut out a couple of days a week of no alcohol which is okay but the Dr would like less of course. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm very happy it wasn't serious, though it could have been. Yeah, we can't imbibe too much anymore, don't blame you for making some changes. Take care, Bruce.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Catalyst, I am so sorry you had such an experience and relieved to see you back here. Please take care there and get well in every way. Thinking of you, dear blogging friend. (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Never too old to learn I guess. Meeting Janet and Lilly and maybe Ona for coffee in a couple weeks in Stanley. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is way too much adventure! I'm glad it wasn't worse and that you're on the mend. It's as I've always said: wine is evil. Now beer...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, glad you will be okay and so thankful that it wasn't worse. Please be careful and take it easy on yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yikes! How scary! I'm glad you have apparently come through unscathed and ready to amuse us all yet again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I’m go gladyou are alright!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I’m so glad you are all right! So no more walking while drinking?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Glad you are ok!

    ReplyDelete
  25. At this point you must be thinking is it me they love or the Friday Funnies? I had a friend who fell in the driveway, looked so bad they almost hauled her husband in for abuse. My rule of thumb is if I had a drink I don't leave the house. No mail. No dog walk. Remember that having the drink means you are kicking back. No work!

    ReplyDelete
  26. See, I wasn't the only one worried about you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Glad you are on the road to recovery. Getting old(er) is not for sissies. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  28. tc Light/Breezes---Holy Moly Bruce Man! 3 cocktails and wine is the Olympic event for men and women well under your age. I'm glad you survived, seriously. Sorry for the scare it must have given Judy. Glad you are back home. New training rules are probably a good idea. I'd say moderation is good advice, but I've known you for almost a half a century and think I'd know where you would tell me to put that moderation. Still....listen to the doc.

    ReplyDelete
  29. If you wear a foam rubber sumo wrestler costume you will not hurt yourself when you fall over. Worth considering.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You know I'm old too. These days no shows are ... well you know. Glad it was one you dodged. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my goodness! How did I miss this post?
    What a thing to happen! Guess you better drink sitting down?

    ReplyDelete