Tuesday, October 4, 2016

TUESDAY TRAVELS

Yesterday evening I heard the news that my beloved Arizona Diamondbacks had fired their General Manager and their team Manager and I wondered if my buddy Baseball Steve had heard the news.

So I picked up my phone and called him.

When he answered he sounded very down and like he was sick.

I asked him "what's the matter, you sound terrible."

He said "I just woke up."

"What?" said I, "it's 6:30 in the evening!"


His response was so surprising that I had to ask him to repeat it.

"I'm in France!", he said.

Well it turned out old smiling Steve and his wife Debbie were in Normandy.


(Cheerful Steve always smiles for my camera.)

Well I told him the news about the D-backs because he hadn't heard and, at his request, filled him in on the latest news on the presidential election campaign.

(He said the wi-fi had gone down at his hotel.)

Well I was stunned by two things.

First, that Steve and Debbie were in France.

Second, that I had called his cell phone and he answered it in France.

I can remember the days long, long ago where you asked an operator to place your long distance calls and then waited for her to call you back when she had (finally) made the connection.

And it was expensive!

Nowadays I guess it's just part of my monthly phone plan.

By the way, Judy and I have been to France, too.


She snapped this photo of me in Paris but some big old tower kind of ruined the picture.

That was 31 years ago last April.

6 comments:

  1. It will be interesting to get his take on Normandy. Think he'll try the Calvados?
    As for your "man in Paris" shot, she did a great job in making sure that old iron thing didn't extend from the back of your head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since neither he nor Debbie have had a touch of the grape for over 25 years I have serious doubts about the Calvados. And yes Judy is an even better photographer than my humble self. Some times.

      Delete
  2. I think it may have cost a little extra to answer your call.

    ReplyDelete
  3. France can be a nice place to visit.


    |Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time to take another trip. That big old tower is still there and there should be an up-to-date shot of yourself in front of it. Why not one in front of Big Ben too? I can take the snapshot, you and Judy and the Ben.

    ReplyDelete