Saturday, March 25, 2017

BLACK FOOD

Many years ago we lived in Mexico for a few years and we loved the Mexican food.

Not Tex-Mex, Gentle Readers.

This was wonderful seafood, great barbacoa (BBQ, for you Americans), and delicious moles.

Now those last are not those critters that dig up your lawns.

These are MO-lays!

Wonderful sauces of chocolate and coffee and spices that are layered over chicken or beef or even just tortillas.

Delicious, especially the deep dark Oaxacan mole.

We went to a Oaxacan restaurant in Guadalajara that had become a favorite of ours with a group that included a friend who steadfastly refused to taste the mole.

She said, resolutely, "I don't eat black food!"

And the mole was pretty dark.

Nothing would convince her to even try it.

Her loss, I say.

Because Judy has found a small grocery that sells bottled mole that is as dark and delicious as that we had in Mexico.

And tonight (for the second time in a week) we had it over some baked chicken.


It may look like road tar but get over it!

It is delicious.


The chicken was sauced with the mole and brought to the table with some black beans and cilantro and a combination she has perfected of quinoa and brown rice.


Oh.

Oh.

And oh again.

Is your scribe happy?

Is his tummy full?


As we say in Mexico, "you betcha!"

16 comments:

  1. It's late, I had a great dinner and am content, at least until I saw that plate. Now my stomach is growling and my taste buds are activated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, but I'm with your friend. And we say "you betcha" in Alaska. Just ask the redneck Palin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Mexican food! Sometimes it doesn't like me back, but I am a sucker for it. And as far as 'you betcha', I thought that was an original to Da Yoopers in Michigan as popularized by the movie FARGO. I am assuming the plates will be the last thing to be packed before you hit the road. No pizza delivery for you while buried in boxes. I envy your time in Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and Love the new header photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Xocimilco (sp) opened in Detroit when I was in college, and I first found mole. Here, Red Iguana has an array of real Mexican food, and excellent mole. Good for the soul is mole.

    Wouldn't eat black food?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does 'classic' mole have chocolate in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends on what you mean by "classic". Some have it, others do not. But a classic mole has over 25 ingredients as prepared in Oaxaca.

      Delete
    2. Oaxaca....that name was mentioned in the day, the late 60's early 70's, about a mythological herbal substance......

      Delete
    3. Sure you're not thinkin' of Maui Wowee?

      Delete
    4. Yes. Not the sugared, candy kind. Cocoa.

      Delete
  7. Road tar does suitably describe the visual look!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Only black food I have is when it is burned, and that doesn't stop me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Mole. First had it at a Mexican friend's house and I always order it if I go to a Mexican restaurant! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had it. Black mole looks terrible but tastes great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well...it looks better than that corn smut, huitlacoche.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mike often gets the Pollo en Mole at our local Mexican restaurant. Oops - our FORMER local. We haven't tried to find it in NC yet...

    ReplyDelete