Sunday, June 25, 2017

AGING

Yes, it has been brought home to us in the past ten days that we are, indeed, growing older.

I still hesitate to say "growing old."

As my memories of youth get further in the distant past I still hate to relent.

But in recent days, with Judy in a hospital, in surgery and in a rehabilitation hospital, I have been forced to think whenever I move about to "be careful, be aware, don't injure yourself now of all times."

It's not a bad idea to become more conscious of our aging bodies and the dangers that lurk therein.

I'm making big steps over obstacles even as I think unconsciously "but I'm not that old."

Judy is making singular progress day by day.

I watched today as a young man helped her out of her wheelchair, into a walker, then a turn and into bed.

But only one man, one person.

A day or two ago it took two people.

I am so proud of her.

I think she will once again be a new person, perhaps more careful, more judicious but beautiful with a fresh appearance.


I think, fondly, of something my good friend Tom Cochrun wrote to me recently:  "You'll never again be as young as you are today."

Indeed.

16 comments:

  1. And my favorite: Youth is a gift of nature, Age is a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me think of my Pop's favorite quote from Mark Twain, "We are too soon old, too late smart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're older than you've ever been, and now you're even older...'

    https://youtu.be/TdIRrmNN_CQ

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love hearing that Judy is mending quickly. BTW-how are the cats adjusting to your new place and to being with out SWMBO?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear of your wife's progress in rehab. Sounds like the recovery process is proceeding well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing for continued and speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all and I will get around to reading your blogs one of these days (or weeks) (or months).

    ReplyDelete
  8. whether we know it or not we become fragile as we become elderly. However , keep on living to the fullest. There are many things that are still to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm starting to feel older every day, but I know in a few years I'll look back on this time and realize I wasn't very old at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I started moving that way after my first hip surgery - it certainly taught me that I'm not indestructible! I'm proud of SWMBO - proving that the fairer sex is plenty strong!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not the man I once was and will never be again.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quite a car!

    I only tend to feel that way in winter here- I'm wary of slipping on ice. Fell once this past winter, a hand took the worst of it, and it took months for the hand to feel right.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Agree with all above. I now watch my step getting into the shower, etc. Already did an ankle, don't need a femur. Hope Judy is doing well, and you as well.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wishing speedy healing to Judy. Sounds like she's making progress.

    I don't like walking on uneven surfaces now. And I can't play that game of this way/that way when somebody is walking right towards you and can't decide who should move where. So I'm now the jerk who just stands there and lets the other person go around me.

    ReplyDelete