Tuesday, June 20, 2017

DISASTER

Some of you Gentle Readers who I haven't informed may have been wondering about the absence of Oddball Observations and it's editor Catalyst since last week's Friday Funnies.

So let me tell you what's been going on.

Early Friday afternoon a man came and picked up all the empty boxes and foam and bubble wrap from our move and took it away.

We were elated to get even that much more space in our garage.

About an hour later, Judy took a step out onto our back patio where I was pulling up a sun shade, fell and broke her femur (thighbone).

I called 911 and got paramedics here, who took over, shot her full of some good drugs, loaded her onto a gurney, into an ambulance and took her to our local hospital.

Saturday morning she had surgery which resulted in what she calls a piece of rebar placed into her body.

After 3 nights in the hospital she was transferred yesterday to a rehabilitation hospital where she will reside for a week or two or three.

She is in intense pain whenever she tries to move her right side or put weight on that leg but that does not stop the medicos from putting her through PT (Physical Therapy).

I read on line today that a femur break can take 4 to 6 months or more to heal.

I am trying my best to do what I can, keeping the house running, the cats fed and watered, their litter pans emptied as well as (not a serious problem) feeding myself.

Frankly, Gentle Readers, it is all a pain in the ass.

But not as much pain as my beloved Judy is going through.

So, my friends, that's what has been going on.

Whatever you do as you age, don't fall, don't break any bones, and don't think that you may not do any of that.

I'll be here occasionally, as events allow me.

21 comments:

  1. NOOOO! I didn't even want to click on that "Disaster" title. I hope Judy has some good painkillers to get her over the initial healing, and rehab exertions.

    Take good care of yourself. The cats (and JUDY!) are going to be depending on you for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's a fine state of affairs! Having been part of a rehab team I am aware P.T.s (which I am not) get folks moving soon. Tell Judy to hang in there -- easy for me to say -- and hope she'll be feeling better soon. Do take good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our best wishes to you and the cats. And please convey our love and thoughts for a full and speedy recovery to SWMBO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing Judy a speedy recovery. Wishing you and the cats much luck.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me know when she actually would like visitors. I'm always picking up or dropping off at the library next door, so I can easily pop in to see Judy. At least she's enjoying good food and is out of the 100 degree heat. You should do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I literally gasped as I read the words "broke her femur". Best wishes to Judy for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is scary. Take good care of SWMBO, and be careful yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this. Hopefully her docs and rehab people can get her back to normal, or at least near-normal, soon. Looks like you now have a new life challenge....to take care of SWMBO, yourself, and your 4-legged family members, too. I have no doubt you're up to the challenge. Please give Judy my best wishes for a speedy recovery. And take care of yourself, Bruce.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like Judy is in good hands; the rehab is very important.
    Just as important you take care of yourself, remember to do everything to maintain your health, stress ain't good for us codgers.
    Best to Judy
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no! I'm so sorry! Maybe being in the new house, a relatively unfamiliar environment, contributed to her fall? In any case, I hope she heals well and quickly and the PT isn't too miserable, and that you return to blogland soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry to hear about Judy's broken femur. It's a major bone. I wish her a good and speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry to hear about this. I wish you were nearby so we could provide a few meals. Please give SWMBO my best for a full and speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that's awful! Poor SWMBO & poor you! I hope she finds relief soon & healing, & you find a rhythm that helps make things easier.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ouch! I hope rehabilitation goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Take care of yourself, pal. Love to Judy. Wish we were closer and we could visit her and make sure you are amply supplied.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry to hear this. Not what you needed now for sure. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and please take good care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  17. so sorry to hear about this! I hope she beats the average time table.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh no! So sorry for SWMBO. I checked the outside degrees before calling our kids yesterday... I hope SWMBO is enjoying the cool air where she is and that the pain is receding by the hour.
    Take care of yourself in the meantime Bruce.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooooh no! I am sorry to hear this. They usually can fix these things but it is a tough road. I hope she is feeling better every day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, gods, I'm so sorry. That's just, that SUCKS.

    Rebar is right, but very **shiny** rebar.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So sorry to hear this! I hope Judy will be home and feeling better soon. I broke my femur several years ago and spent three weeks in the hospital in traction. I can relate to the pain she is going through.

    ReplyDelete