Tuesday, September 26, 2017

A SCOURGE

They're being called "Littles" this year.

I've never heard of that before but then I'd never heard of someone being "woke" until recently either.

It's hard to keep up with a language that seems to have a new vocabulary with each generation.

But getting back to the littles, which are becoming bigger every day it seems.

I photographed one crawling up the outside of my window a day or two ago.


When I grew up these were called grasshoppers.

The little ones were just called baby grasshoppers.

But now they're known as "littles" and there must be thousands of them in my area.

They hop everywhere when I go outside to do a teensy bit of weed pulling in the back yard or when I walk across the street to get the mail.

I'm reminded of the very old expression: a plague of locusts.

So far the trees and shrubbery around our home seem to be impervious to the pests.

Or maybe they just don't like the flavors.

Doesn't seem to stop their growth though.

Maybe they're eating my weeds!

In which case I may have to adopt them.


11 comments:

  1. Yikes, I would not be happy with this group surrounding me. I much prefer that bugs stay far away from us humans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think birds fill up on these before winter. You might try pan frying a few . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grasshoppers always startle me (I think I did something bad in a past life - my startle reflex is very strong!). I agree with L - pan fry some of them. Tastes like okra. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could probably tolerate them but Mrs. C. would have a fit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps you should get the dipping chocolate ready!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You primitives who have suggested eating some of these babies can have all you can catch. Not me, my friends, not me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fish LOVE grasshoppers. I've had wonderfully productive days sitting on the bank of a pond, reaching out to catch a grasshopper, introduce him to a hook, and use him to catch fish. Didn't even have to get up. They were that plentiful.

    I'd probably eat one fried, or chocolate-dipped. I think it would taste better than the fish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Littles" is a new term to me, too. I immediately thought of all those tiny houses that have been in the news lately. I do remember when a scourge of locusts descended on us in Phoenix one year. At least your Littles" don't make deafening noise that never stops. Have you considered the delicacy of fried grasshoppers?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of "littles" used in this context!

    ReplyDelete